No, that doesn’t mean that you shouldn’t cosplay as Mulan or any other East Asian characters… POCs…
Basically, we get pissed when people turn the POC cosplays into racial caricatures… like say… if I were to cosplay as Mulan… and I… taped my lids back… or if someone with lighter skin put some tanner on to make them browner… that would be ignorant and offensive…. things like that ya know?
Honestly, I have no idea how to approach people telling you that you don’t fit the image of “Asian”. I can’t speak on it really because I have never and will never experience that.
Followers who can relate… care to comment?
- darling-tsarevich likes this
- sojubyeong said: Wow this is the first time I’ve heard of double eyelids being a bad thing… Double eyelids are fashionable in Asia atm, I don’t see why you can’t cosplay Mulan.
- neonrainbowcity said: I can relate, I’m completely of Mexican decent but most people can’t tell and think I’m just white (with a tan) but it’s all based on these stereotyped ideas that all races have to look a certain way when REAL RACES may not fit the given stereotypes.
- batsa said: asian here, happens to me all the time. it’s the product of racism… it alienates people when we don’t appear as their stereotypes. even asians get in on it, we all get in on it. it sucks.
- jushijie said: … Ignoramuses. You can go ahead and cosplay as Mulan or whoever. I have double lids and I am full blooded Vietnamese. What do they want you to do? Tape your lids back, and squint so that you can follow their pathetic stereotype? NO.
- worthdreamingof said: Idg these ppl saying that - there isn’t one image of how Asians should “look” in the first place. Don’t let this stop you from cosplaying Mulan.
- betterthanrl said: is the double eyelid thing the only reason why people don’t think you fit the image of “Asian?” because I’m full Chinese and I have double eyelids - it’s not all that uncommon. What kind of people are telling you that?
- damnlayoffthebleach posted this